Particle size measurement from below 0.1 µm to 3,000 µm in small quantities of suspensions, emulsions, pastes and slurries with ultrasonic extinction in the laboratory
The ultrasonic extinction sensor OPUS elevated in the standby (SB) rack, in combination with a flow-through adapter, forms a powerful system for particle size analysis of below 0.1 µm to 3,000 µm in suspensions, emulsions, slurries and pastes. The measuring probe can be flexibly integrated in test setups or measuring circuits from the laboratory to the pilot plant scale. The acoustic measurement method offers outstanding capabilities for measuring, even in highly concentrated media. Using sound waves means that analyses can be performed in their original state regardless of the transparency of the material system – without dilution or extensive sample preparation.
In OPUS development we were aiming at a wide range of applications in order to make the ultrasonic measurement technology available both for process applications on a large scale and in the laboratory for the analysis of small quantities. New products and processes are mainly developed in the laboratory in order to test syntheses and process control prior to integration in the production plant on a pilot scale. The OPUS system supports the product and process development at every stage of scale-up and thus ensures a reliable and efficient method transfer into production. Using the same measurement principles from the laboratory to production means that a valid and reliable measurement basis is available.
The OPUS sensor elevated in the SB rack, in combination with a flow-through adapter, a peristaltic laboratory pump, a storage tank and the piping forms a sample circuit for the circulation and analysis of around 300 ml to several litres. A pumped circuit is not required in disperse media that does not tend to separate. Sample volumes of around 50 ml are sufficient to provide a meaningful analysis in this case. These flexible application options mean that the measuring methods selected by the user for the on-line application can be extensively evaluated in advance in the laboratory before the sensor is integrated into the production process.
- Particle size, particle size distribution and concentration
- For suspensions, emulsions, pastes and slurries with particle concentrations up to 70 volume percent
- For analyses in laboratories and the pilot plant | off-line
- Highly resolved measuring range from < 0.1 µm to 3,000 µm | 31 measuring points
- No extensive sample preparation | Measuring the sample in its original state
- For the flexible connection of small sample circuits or experimental setups with 10 mm hose or pipelines of DN10 to DN25 | With flow-through adapter
- Optional adapter flanges | With ball valve, hose connection, funnel